Jewish Food!

My friend Ari made THE most delicious dish for me and I had to post it.  I LOVED it, but we noticed something funny about this traditional Jewish dish while we were eating it - it looks horrible:

 This must come from the old country because it was made of cabbage, chicken, and potatoes. Some kind of jewish-y spices in there and...zap...we had ourselves a real old fashioned meal.  But it did make me think...why do Jews make such delicious food that looks so lame?  I love gefilte fish but it looks like a white bear turd.  I love potato pancakes but they look like smashed bear turds.  Another question - jewish moms tend to encourage their kids to eat the unhealthiest foods while telling them that they need to eat it to be healthy.  This is a contrast to my black friends, who might eat unhealthy food yet they fully acknowledge and embrace that the food is simply sinful and delicious (think friend chicken and waffles people).  But my jewish friends' mom push items on me like pasty, cold chopped liver with inexplicable pieces of hard boiled egg implanted in it; dense lokshon kugels, sweet noodle casseroles as unappetizing as a Christmas fruitcake, and they tell me it's good for me.

This made me think of a few things jews are good at and not good at:


Good at:  making food taste good, inventing stuff (circumcision, communism, and Scotchguard - yes Scotchguard!), singing along with musicals
Bad at:  being sick (they complain a lot), picking locales for their country (really - between Syria and Lebanon?), carpentry (aside from JC).

1 comment:

  1. Many of you have asked that I sign up for Twitter to keep you posted. I will try it!

    ReplyDelete